Migraine headaches are one of the most debilitating neurological conditions worldwide. Migraines are known to be crippling with intense, throbbing or pulsing pain coupled with light sensitivity, nausea and even vomit, with a possible light aura or flashing lights. Other long term side effects of chronic headaches include crankiness and stress, sleep disturbance and even suicide.
If you’ve ever had one, you’ll agree you’d never want another one. If you’re like the thousands of people that suffer them daily, you’re probably looking for an alternative treatment to daily medication that may or may not work and puts excess strain on the liver.
When traditional medicine has failed, or is no longer working, many headache sufferers turn to acupuncture. Acupuncture can directly regulate our hormones and neurotransmitters. It balances the sympathetic nervous system and promotes the production of endorphins, our bodies’ own painkillers. Moreover, there are no adverse side effects.
Here are the 7 more reasons why you should add acupuncture into your regular care if you suffer migraine headaches:
- Acupuncture has been proven to relieve migraine pain. This is the number one reason why people seek acupuncture. Thousands of studies have shown acupuncture treatments can effectively relieve and reduce pain for acute and chronic pain. When acupuncture is combined with our homeopathic and vitamin trigger point injections, the results can be instant and even longer lasting.
- Acupuncture reduces inflammation. While migraines are not completely understood, it is agreed upon by most professionals any headache involves some sort of inflammatory response by the body. Acupuncture promotes the release of vascular and immune-mediating factors that actually decrease inflammation.
- Acupuncture can reduce serotonin levels. Serotonin is a chemical the body produces. Many scientists and neurologists believe serotonin may be linked to triggering migraines. Because acupuncture can be used for preventive medicine, it can also help to balance serotonin levels on a long-term basis. Thus you may have less frequent migraine attacks.
- Acupuncture can help with the symptoms of migraines. Acupuncture can treat not only pain but also the symptoms of migraines. Studies have shown symptoms like nausea, dizziness and vomiting can all be reduced with regular treatments.
- Acupuncture improves blood circulation. When you experience pain, it is because of a lack of proper blood flow and decreased oxygen. This is as true for migraines as any other type of pain. Acupuncture can improve blood circulation, which also increases the amount of oxygen that reaches the tissues.
- Acupuncture Provides Fast Pain Relief. Yes. There is an effective, natural treatment that is clinically proven to provide fast relief and long-term prevention.
- Leading National and International Health Organizations: According to the NIH, research has shown that acupuncture may be helpful for several pain conditions, including back or neck pain, knee pain associated with osteoarthritis, and postoperative pain. It may also help relieve joint pain associated with the use of aromatase inhibitors, which are drugs used in people with breast cancer. The NIH specifically recognizes acupuncture to be effective in the treatment of headaches.
But what if you cannot get an acupuncture treatment and you’ve got a scorching migraine headache? Try Acupressure! These acupressure points can be used in a pinch to help quickly reduce your suffering.
In the midst of a migraine or headache, we may intuitively massage or apply pressure to areas where we notice pain. This is akin to using acupressure which promotes blood circulation and helps relieve physical tension. However, there are many specific acupressure points that can be helpful in mitigating headache pain and nausea. To do acupressure, get comfortable, close your eyes, and massage the point in a circular motion for 15 to 20 seconds. You should use firm pressure, but don’t press so hard that it’s painful. Below, we offer some acupressure points that may be helpful in alleviating headaches and nausea
At Health Pointe Jacksonville we specialize in treating difficult to manage, seemingly hopeless cases. Those patients have been everywhere else and have been told “there’s nothing more we can do” , and “you’re just going to have to live with this” or have been disappointed by treatment plans that simply didn’t work.
Which is why we like to think of ourselves as The Last Resort With The Best Results
From stubborn migraine headaches, to rheumatoid arthritis and trigeminal neuralgia, Dr. Miller and the staff at Health Pointe Jacksonville will design a tailored treatment program to treat your condition to help you reclaim your health.