Male Menopause: Are You For Real?
Though often referred to as “male menopause”, andropause is more than the male equivalent of menopause, as it presents its own unique set of symptoms, causes and patterns of onset. Andropause refers to the process a man undergoes when the body produces fewer androgens (male hormones).
The hormone most strongly affected is testosterone, as it is the most dominant of all the male hormones we know of. Testosterone not only plays a vital role in male development, it greatly affects the overall health of a man’s body and mind.
Testosterone directly influences many bodily functions and organs, including the heart, prostate, muscles, blood sugar, fat metabolism, bone density, libido and mental cognition. Sudden mood changes, depression and anger also may result from andropause. The decline of testosterone production gradually starts in the early thirties and continues through the mid-fifties.
In contrast to menopause, which happens over a much shorter period of time, the signs of andropause creep up gradually, making an accurate diagnosis tricky. Signs and symptoms of andropause can include loss of libido, enlarged prostate, weight gain, osteoporosis, sterility, urinary problems and infections, and digestive problems.
According to Culley C. Carson, M.D., Boston University, School of Medicine, it is estimated that more than 60 percent of men over age 65 have free testosterone levels below the normal values of men in the 30 to 35 age range. While the incremental loss of testosterone represents the natural life cycle in an aging, healthy male, more severe levels of decrease can prove detrimental.
The main reason why a man may experience the loss of libido or infertility in his middle or later years is due to age, simply put. Other signs such as frequent urination, sore lower back or knees and/or lethargy may also be present.
For men, the onset of andropause may be gradual and, as such, the symptoms hard to diagnose.
Call (904) 448-0046 today to learn more about andropause and learn what acupuncture and Oriental medicine can do for you!
Finding the Fountain of Youth
As the saying goes, time waits for none. The good news is that there are ways to slow it down a bit. Here’s how
7 Anti-aging tips for men
- Drink more water: Drink half your weight in water each day
- Reduce alcohol consumption: Alcohol rapidly speeds the aging process, disrupts sleep cycles and are usually high in sugar.
- Exercise more: 30 minutes per day of a good sweat sesh should do it! Can’t fit it in daily? Opt for 60 minutes 3-4 times per week
- Improve sleep habits: set the goal for 7-8 hours of un-interrupted hours of sleep each night
- Improve diet & nutrition: maintain the goal to eat 5-7 fruits and veggies each day
- Quit smoking: More so than drinking alcohol, smoking greatly accelerates aging. If you’re a smoker, quit now
- Add acupuncture to your regular healthcare regimen: boost your energy, sleep better, boost testosterone, balance hormones, improve libido and lose weight all with acupuncture. Never tried it? Now’s the time!
To find out if acupuncture is the right treatment for you, call our office at (904) 446-0046 to schedule a consultation with one of our practitioners now!