Maximize ovarian and uterine blood flow with Abdominal Gua Sha and Castor oil packs
Whether you suffer painful periods, have fibroids or endometriosis or are on the fertility path adding these two treatments in the comfort of your own home can help! Castor oil is anti-inflammatory and promotes lymph circulation, which together promote detoxification of all the tissues of the abdomen and helps alleviate pelvic stagnation while abdominal gua sha helps to increase circulation and break up adhesions, clear blocked fallopian tubes and reduce local inflammation.
Some conditions that might mean you have pelvic stagnation are: endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cysts, blocked fallopian tubes, menstrual cramps, clots in your menstrual blood, and mucus in your menstrual blood. Doing these home therapies consistently can help reduce the effects of pelvic stagnation and improve your chances of conceiving a healthy baby.
Let’s dive deeper into the how’s, why’s and when of each.
What is gua sha?
Gua sha is a body and face scraping technique that’s used for a variety of health benefits. Gua sha involves the use of a tool to stroke the skin and increase circulation This may promote detoxification, relax tight muscles, and encourage healing.
Specifically, this technique breaks up scar tissue and adhesions, particularly in tight and damaged muscles and tendons. Because scar tissue limits circulation to the area, it interferes with proper healing and tissue regeneration. When the scar tissue or adhesions are removed through Gua Sha, circulation is restored which brings a new supply of healing nutrients to the injured area. This allows cellular turnover and tissue healing.
The most common conditions and symptoms treated with gua sha include:
- back pain
- shoulder and neck tension
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- tennis elbow
- poor circulation
- scar tissue anywhere on the body
- Common cold/flu: especially within the first 24 hours
For Women’s Health, abdominal Gua Sha can:
- Improve ovarian blood flow
- Improve uterine blood flow
- Reduce uterine cysts
- Reduce uterine fibroids
- Help with blocked fallopian tubes
- Reduce scar tissue: endometriosis, post surgical (including C Section)
- Improves lymphatic drainage, reducing congestion
How to perform abdominal Gua Sha
Start by applying oil to the abdomen (preferably *castor oil or any blend of essential oils in a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba) and use your gua sha tool
- Start at mid-center pelvic bone towards belly button x 3 strokes
- Move 2 inches to the side- pelvic bone area towards belly button x 3 strokes
- Move 2 inches further out near hip bones and scrape from pelvis up towards belly button x 3 strokes
- Repeat on opposite side
When to perform abdominal Gua Sha
It’s best to perform abdominal gua sha in the follicular phase of your menstrual cycle (cycle days 5-14) if actively trying to conceive. If not trying to conceive, this can be performed any day of your cycle
*There are no known side effects to gua sha stomach benefits. However, it should be avoided on any person who has a fever or any open wounds on the skin. Gua sha is also not recommended for people who are taking blood thinners, have a clotting disorder, or frail thin skin. Always consult with your healthcare practitioner before beginning gua sha or any other massage therapy treatment in your home setting.
Castor Oil Therapy:
Applying a castor oil pack to the abdomen can be a game changer! When we have scar tissue or adhesions, fibroids, ovarian cysts, blocked fallopian tubes, PID, Asherman’s Syndrome and more, castor oil packs improves the blood flow needed for healing and is one of the easiest therapies along-side acupuncture to improve the health of the reproductive system and fertility.
When applied to the skin castor oil aids in skin health, intestinal function, and also stimulating both T-cell production in the lymphocytes and circulation of the lymphatic system.
Other benefits of castor oil include:
- Increasing eliminations, lymphatic circulation, relaxation
- stimulating the liver, gallbladder, lacteal duct and circulation (absorbs dietary fats in the small intestine) and cecum
- Dissolving and removing adhesions, lesions and gallstones
- Relieving pain
- Reducing flatulence, inflammation, nausea, swelling
Simple Instructions for Applying a Castor Oil Pack
- Saturate a piece of cotton flannel in cold-pressed, pure castor oil
- Place it directly on the skin over the lower abdomen
- Cover it with plastic wrap
- Add gentle heat source on top – hot water bottle or heating pad
- Lie down and rest for 30-60 minutes
- Drink plenty of room temp water