If you struggle with your weight, you’re
not alone. According to the World Health
Organization (WHO), it is estimated that there
are more than 1 billion overweight adults, and
there are at least 300 million clinically obese
Overweight people spend billions of dollars
annually on weight loss products, but obesity
is still on the rise. People are turning to diet
pills, extreme fasting, fad diets or even drastic
measures such as surgery in an attempt to
manage their weight.
Unfortunately, excess weight is not just a cosmetic issue. Being overweight is a risk
factor for many conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. The
good news is that maintaining a healthy weight can reduce your risk and it’s never too late
to get started. People seeking to address their weight concerns are turning to acupuncture as
a natural and effective way to approach weight loss.
A traditional approach to healing. Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
take a holistic, or whole-body approach, to health. This ancient form of healthcare works
to restore the balance and flow of the body’s Qi (pronounced “chee”), or vital energy.
According to TCM, the reasons why people gain weight, or find it difficult to lose weight,
are numerous. Your acupuncturist can perform diagnostic exams to uncover the root
cause(s) or imbalances that have affected your weight. The will also take into
consideration other factors that may have led to weight gain, including your lifestyle,
as well as your emotional and mental well-being. By taking your whole self into account,
you and your acupuncturist can get to the root of your health concerns, rather than just
treating the symptoms.
What will my acupuncturist do? During your first visit, your
acupuncturist will take an extensive health history and perform various diagnostic exams.
At the completion of your first visit, your acupuncturist will provide you with a
comprehensive diagnosis and an explanation of your treatment plan. Your treatments
will focus on correcting any underlying imbalances in your body and will help to support
you in reaching your weight loss goals. Based on your unique symptoms, your
acupuncturist will choose to concentrate on acupuncture points related to
specific organs. In addition to acupuncture treatments, your practitioner may
also recommend other lifestyle changes.
It is important to keep in mind acupuncture is an ADJUNCT therapy to your weight
loss journey. It is not a panacea or a wonder cure in the treatment of weight control.
But, acupuncture is effective in making it easier to lose and maintain that loss if you
are willing to change your lifestyle. The exact mechanism by which acupuncture
works is unknown but we know that acupuncture needles inserted into specific points
on the body and in the ear release endorphins, which in turn, have a calming and relaxing effect
making it easier to deal with stress, frustration and anxiety that can trigger
overeating and binging on fattening foods. These endorphins also affect the digestive
and hormonal systems. Acupuncture treatments therefore can help re-balance the organ
systems that are running too fast- or in this case too slow–i.e., the metabolism and the
will power. Acupuncture assists in weight loss in many ways:
- Improves energy levels
- Improves digestion
- Improves metabolism
- Gets rid of excess fluid in your body (edema)
- Mobilizes fat cells for easier elimination
Many of the points utilized during these treatments are from the auricular (or ear
acupuncture) system that play an important role in weight loss are:
- Mouth – for the impulsive eater who may also smoke a lot and talk a lot
- Stomach – for the person who eats even after they’re full or who’s constantly nibbling
- Hungry – for general appetite control
- Lung – for food addicts, and people who love chocolate, sweets
- Shenmen – a calming point, for the psychology overlay for anxiety, anger, frustration, insecurity
- Endocrine – for water retention that’s responsible for some of the weight gain
- Adrenal and Ovary – if weight gain is due to menopause or P.M.S.
- Spleen – for sugar imbalances and hormonal disturbances
- Kidney – for water retention, and nervous system and hormonal imbalances
- Thyroid – for slow metabolism
Whether you want to lose a few pounds or a significant amount of weight, consider
acupuncture as a natural and effective way to approach weight loss. By working
together with your practitioner, you can help your body regain its natural balance—
and start taking steps toward true health and vitality. Call (904) 448-0046 now
for a free consultation to see if acupuncture can help you lose weight and feel great now!
- Healthy Weight-loss Tips Here are a few ways to free yourself from over-eating:
– If you crave something sweet, don’t react right away. Take a few deep
breaths and inhale one of the essential oils below.
– Make gradual changes to your diet. Abrupt diet changes can affect you
emotionally and affect mood-altering chemicals.
– Eat regularly – don’t skip any meals, just make them smarter meals
and eat smaller amounts, more often.
– Take a daily multi-vitamin – vitamins can help rebuild the nutrition that
you may overlook when dieting. It’s important to ingest the daily vitamin
– Drink at least 8, 8 oz. glasses of water a day, everyday.
– Replace white sugar with natural alternatives like Agave nectar, Stevia
or Brown rice syrup.
– Drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of maple
syrup mixed with 12 oz. of warm water. If you do this daily, it can help
improve digestion and increase your metabolism.
– Substitute your coffee for green or black tea. These are loaded with
beneficial antioxidants and slightly less caffeine.
- Aromatherapy For Weight-loss
Smells have a profound effect on both body and mind. Essential oils
can be used to help overcome cravings, relax the body and mind and
provide emotional support.
Here is a list of essential oils that can be used along with a weight-loss
– Peppermint: Is a digestive aid that soothes an upset stomach and
helps with digestive problems.
– Grapefruit: A natural weight loss appetite suppressant through a
process called lipolysis dissolves fat. (Combines very well with lavender
in a Whiffer aromatherapy pendant).
– Bergamot: Stimulates your endocrine system and produces a sense
of calm and well being and alleviates stress. Lavender can be combined
with bergamot to enhance this calming effect.
– Tangerine: A diuretic and is also used to calm the nervous system.
– Ylang ylang: Used to clarify thoughts and assist in a feeling of
wellness and calm.